<!COMMENT Beginning Of Menubar! #"menubar.htm">
<!COMMENT End Of Menubar!>
The Earths Angels Gang
Sign Our Guestbook!
View Our Guestbook
Puppy Newsletter Signup
Our Reading List
Healthcare Info Updated 03/05/22
Snack Food Bags New!
Heating Pad Burns
Dough: Doggie No-No
Your Dog Ate Glass?
Do Dogs Have Souls?
The Last Battle
The Rainbow Bridge
Email Earth's Angels
Our Favorite Links
Earth's Angels Kennels
Political Data Systems
Holiday Graphics Courtesy Of:
Toxic Holiday Stuff
From the National Animal Poison Control Center (NAPCC)
Mistletoe- Very toxic, all parts, especially the berries.
Holly- Moderate to very toxic, especially the berries and leaves.
Poinsettia- Leaves and stems low in toxicity.
Christmas Greens such as Balsam, Juniper, Cedar, Pine, & Fir- All parts of these plants have a low level of toxicity.
Bubbling Lights- Moderate to lethal toxicity, depending on the amount of fluid (methylene chloride) inhaled or ingested.
Fireplace Colors (fire salts)- Moderate to lethal toxicity, symptoms are gastrointestinal irritation with vomiting and a variety of other manifestations, including convulsions.
Angel Hair (spun glass)- Low toxicity; can cause irritation of the eyes, skin, and gastrointestinal tract.
Christmas Tree Preservative Solution- Low toxicity, depending upon formulation and quantity ingested.
Snow Sprays & Snow Flock- Low toxicity, dry particles are inert; however, toxicity from inhalation can occur if sprayed directly in mouth.
Styrofoam- Low toxicity; can cause choking from mechanical obstruction.
Christmas Tree Ornaments- Non-toxic, but mechanical irritation or obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract can occur if ingested. Icicles (tinsel)- Non-toxic, however intestinal obstruction and choking are potential problems.
Snow Scenes- Toxicity may come from organisms possibly in the water, most notably Salmonella. ú Read label warnings on all decorations and take the necessary precautions to protect your pet.
GIFTS & MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS
Button Battery (disk battery)- Caustic, potentially high toxicity
depending upon the position of the battery in gastrointestinal tract.
Aftershave Lotion, Colognes, Perfumes, Alcoholic Beverages- Ethanol in
various concentrations is moderately toxic depending upon the amount
ingested. The high concentrations of essential oils in true perfumes are
Plastic Model Cement- Moderate toxicity.
Epoxy Adhesive- Uncured hardener: moderate to high toxicity.
Uncured resin: Low toxicity, primarily irritation and sensitization.
Adhesives, Super Glue- Low toxicity, most difficulty occurs when eyelids become bonded together.
Artists Supplies: Crayons, Felt Tip Markers, Pencils, Water-based Paints-Low toxicity; however, may cause more than a mild mucous membrane and gastrointestinal irritation.
Petroleum-based Paints- Low toxicity; primary concern is possibility of aspiration.
Toys- Avoid toys with parts small enough to be pulled off and swallowed and toys painted with toxic materials, etc. Use same precautions as with children.
From the National Animal Poison Control Center (NAPCC), a non-profit,
cost-recovery program at the College of Veterinary Medicine, University
of Illinois in Urbana, IL.
If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, you should call your
veterinarian or you can call the NAPCC. This is not a free call.
Telephone umbers for the NAPCC are: 1-800-548-2423 ($30 per case, credit
card only;free follow-up calls until problem is resolved.)
1-900-680-0000 ($20 for 5 min., $2.95 per min. thereafter.)